Orthognathic surgery, mostly known as jaw surgery, are indicated for the patients, whose jaw bones are under- or overgrown, displaced or asymmetric. This type of treatment must start with orthodontic treatment, then the orthodontist and the surgeon should decide together what type of surgery will be performed.
If you think you have;
- Asymmetry on your face,
- Your lower jaw is much bigger than your upper jaw and/or upper jaw is smaller than lower,
- Your lower jaw is far behind your upper jaw,
- Gummy smile while resting position,
- Your upper and lower teeth don’t fit together, you can’t bite properly,
- Then you are a proper candidate for jaw surgery.
Treatment steps are:
- Braces will be applied on the teeth, they will be fixed to a certain stage.
- Orthodontist and surgeon come together and prepare the surgery plan.
- Operation is performed. Approximately 2 or 3 days hospital care is needed.
- In 2 to 3 weeks the patient can go back to his/her daily life (job, school, etc)
- Orthodontic treatment will be ended when the teeth are completetly straight.
It is not a very painful procedure, as mostly thought it is. Because upper and lower jaws are not tied together the patient can easely open his/her mouth, eat and speak. This concept ensure that the patient can adapt his/her new life easely within 2 to 3 weeks. The most important benefit of jaw surgery is that the results are very stable through the structural changes.