Dental impalnts are the most effective way to replace the missing tooth/teeth.themost important advantage of the dental implants are that they don’t harm the adjacent teeth and protect the bone. Also total and partial edentulous patients benefit from implants, very stable and user friendly prothesis can be produced.
Dental implant is a kind of screw, placed in the jaw bone. These screw are made of titanium, which is a very biocompatible material. After the placement osseointegration accurs and the implant can resist normal oral function properly.
There is very low risk to titanium is reported in the literatüre, less than 3%. Despite the low risk, if the patient is hypersensitive to any other metal, then should to inform the dentist about this issue. Patch test is recommended for those patient.
Is there any limit of age for dental implant application?
There is no upper limit, but it can’t be applied to patients under 18 because of the bone maturation. Even age of 20 can be waited for anterior region implants. The patient should be evaluated according to some criteria. These are: the bone level and thickness, oral hygene condition, cigarette and alcohol consumption, gum health, regular medication and any systemic disease.
What are the stages of dental implant treatment?
For a successful implant application, diagnosis and accurate treatment plan are of great importance. Clinical examination with panoramic radiograph is the first step. Most of the cases should be reevaluated also with dental volumetric cone-beam tomography (CBCT), which can clearly detect the bone thickness and structure. Its radiation value is comparable to panorex, so there is nothing to be afraid of. In some cases, in addition to dental implant, bone and soft tissue grafting and/or sinus lifting may be needed. The implant will be placed in the mouth after all the conditions are accurate for it. The surgery process lasts about 15 to 20 minutes for one single implant.
What is the success rate of dental impants?
With the correct diagnosis and treatment plan, the success rate of implants are about 98% in proper conditions. The failure reasons can be summarized in two groups, before prothesis and after prothesis. The reasons before prothesis might be:
- Poor oral hygene
- Cigarette consumption
- Alcohol consumption in the first week of operation
- Diabetes mellitus w/o control
- Some regular medication usage (the dentist should be informed before surgery)
- Allergic reactions
- Improper hygenic conditions during surgery
After the operation the patient will be called to the clinic for control. Then 8 to 16 weeks are necessary for osseointegration. When this process is completed, the dentist apply the abutments on the implants, which is like a prepared tooth. Fixed or removable prothesis will be produced then according to the treatment plan.
The Advantages of Implant Treatment
- The adjacent teeth and surrounding tissues (gingiva, bone) can be saved and protected.
- Function is better than conventional methods.
- Aesthetic appereance is easier to achieve.
- In edentulous patients the retention and stability of the prothesis is very improved. Even total edentulous patients can be treated with fixed prothesis.
- The hooks, which is a part of the partial prothesis must have for stability, can be totally removed trough implants. So, the prothesis look and functions better.